After hearing about a recent underride crash fatality which appears to be a front override crash, I looked into this underride issue which we still need to address.
Here is the recent crash: Austin Police ID Woman Killed In Wrong-Way Crash
— Bill Bronrott (@bronrott) August 12, 2016
Briefly, here are some things about front override crashes, which is what happens when the front of a truck rides over a car.
- We petitioned NHTSA in May 2014 to start rulemaking for front override protection and they responded with a proposed rule on July 10, 2014: https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2014/07/10/2014-16018/federal-motor-vehicle-safety-standards-rear-impact-guards-rear-impact-protection “By initiating rulemaking to consider enhancing related safety standards, this notice grants the part of the petition for rulemaking submitted by Ms. Marianne Karth and the Truck Safety Coalition (Petitioners) requesting that the agency improve the safety of rear impact (underride) guards on trailers and single unit trucks. Based on the petition, available information, and the agency’s analysis in progress, NHTSA has decided that the Petitioners’ request related to rear impact guards merits further consideration. Therefore, the agency grants the Petitioners’ request to initiate rulemaking on rear impact guards. NHTSA is planning on issuing two separate notices—an advanced notice of proposed rulemaking pertaining to rear impact guards and other safety strategies for single unit trucks, and a notice of proposed rulemaking focusing on rear impact guards on trailers and semitrailers. NHTSA is still evaluating the Petitioners’ request to improve side guards and front override guards and will issue a separate decision on those aspects of the petition at a later date.“
- Here is an earlier post on front override: http://annaleahmary.com/2016/01/deadly-yet-preventable-why-front-underride-or-front-underrun-is-important/
- Here is a website where I found some information about front override prevention technology — a nosecone: http://www.underridenetwork.org/why-front-underride-or-underrun-is-important/
- Here is a research paper on that topic: http://publications.lib.chalmers.se/records/fulltext/160351.pdf
- Nosecone: http://www.nosecone.com/
Clearly, front override is another deadly problem which has solutions. What are we waiting for?