Jerry, Isaac, and I are taking over 19,000 Vision Zero Petitions to Washington, D.C., next week. This time we are not taking them in individual envelopes. Instead, we have compiled a printed book (designed by Isaac) with the 16,516 signatures which we had on February 12–along with:
- the petition letter to Secretary Foxx
- the petition letter to President Obama
- explanations of what we mean by Vision Zero, along with examples of practical application of a Vision Zero Goal
- also, what we are asking for in an action plan, including a National Vision Zero Goal, a White House-mandated Vision Zero Task Force, and a Vision Zero Executive Order.
- Comments from signers of the petitions
- and links to all of the Vision Zero posts on the annaleahmary.com website.
We will also be making a pdf of the book available. And Care2 (ThePetitionSite) will be printing off all of the petition signatures, as of next week, and delivering them to us in a binder to take to Secretary Foxx.
On March 3 and 4, we have multiple meetings scheduled in Washington to discuss our requests and petition our country’s leaders to take decisive action.
- 9 a.m. March 3, Rep. Ellmers’ staff
- 10 a.m., March 3, Rep. Cartwright’s staff
- 11 a.m., March 3, Rep. Holding’s staff
- noon, March 3, Sen. Isakson’s staff
- 2 p.m., March 3, joint meeting with Sen. Blumenthal’s staff & Sen. Markey’s staff
- 9 a.m., March 4, Sen. Burr’s staff
- 11 a.m., March 4, DOT policy officials
- 1:30 p.m., March 4, Underride Roundtable planning meeting
We have also arranged to have a Petition Book delivered to President Obama. When my granddaughter, Vanessa (6), saw the stack of books in my bedroom, she asked why they were still there. I explained that we were going to Washington next week and about the meetings and all of the people to whom we were going to be giving books.
Vanessa remembered going with us to deliver the first petition in May 2014. At 4, she sat quietly and “took notes.” Yesterday, she decided that she wanted to write a letter to the president to tell him that she missed Aunt Mary and Aunt AnnaLeah. So we will be taking that as well.