Interesting read on how some engineers respond to criticism. . . by Charles Marohn, who is himself an engineer.
Charles lists the 5 most common lines he has heard, including:
- “YOU DON’T HAVE A VALID OPINION IF YOU’RE NOT A LICENSED ENGINEER.”
- “THERE ISN’T ENOUGH MONEY TO DO WHAT SHOULD BE DONE.”
- “WE CAN’T ELIMINATE ALL RISKS. ‘. . .With the odd exception, the public does not have an expectation that all risks can be eliminated. There is an odd incoherence, however. . .'”
- “IT IS THE POLITICIANS THAT ARE TO BLAME. ENGINEERS JUST FOLLOW ORDERS.”
- “THIS REALLY IS A MATTER FOR LAW ENFORCEMENT, NOT ENGINEERING.”
In fact, I am looking forward to working with professionals, industry representatives, safety advocates, government officials, and victims as a team next May at our Underride Roundtable to solve the underride problem together and aim for Vision Zero Crash Deaths one life at a time. I am ready to deflect all arguments that it cannot be done. The Best Possible Protection.
Sign & Share our Vision Zero Petition: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/417/742/234/save-lives-not-dollars-urge-dot-to-adopt-vision-zero-policy/
Underride Research–It Can Be Done! https://www.fortrucksafety.com/